Gen 5… Bottom Line
I’ve bided my time and patiently waded through the myriad posts about the new Gen5 GLOCK. Some have said it’s no big deal, others have derided GLOCK with, “I thought it was perfection??” Let me provide the bottom line to the new generation.
If we go back to the Gen3 release, everyone saw it as a boost to the “raw” Gen1/2 and this time it’s really no different. If you’ve shot as many GLOCK pistols as I have, you know that it was a solid gun which has improved with each generation. I’ve been carrying and shooting a GLOCK Gen4 for some time now. It is definitively a better pistol than the Gen3. I speak from being “inside” the pistol regularly, not just behind it.
During my last GLOCK Advanced Armorer’s course, we were introduced to the brand new GLOCK 42. There were several amazingly different parts in the G42, and a completely different way for the pistol to fire. The coolest thing to me at that time was the new spring on the slide stop. Our instructor for that class made it clear to us: “Over time, the new features you see in the G42 will be introduced to the rest of the models.” He was right.
Fast forward now to the Gen5 and we find these changes.
- The finger grooves have been removed. I think this was a wise move on GLOCK’s part. The grooves only worked for a percentage of the population. By removing them, a Hogue grip can provide them, when desired, but the gun will fit properly for nearly everyone.
- The magazines have orange followers.
- The magazine floor plates have been reshaped.
- The magazine well is slightly flared.
- The pistol finally has an ambidextrous slide stop.
- The slide has been beveled for easier reholstering.
- The barrel has been upgraded to match grade with a nice crown.
- Gone is the long vaulted hexagonal rifling, replaced with normal spiraling.
- The firing pin safety has been redesigned.
- The trigger, finally, has been redesigned.
In my opinion, if you have a Gen4 pistol, there is no overriding reason to upgrade to the Gen5. However, if you can sell your Gen4, do it. The Gen5 pistol is better, all around.
If you’re in the market to buy a new pistol, the Gen5 GLOCK is the best bet, if you are looking for reliability, proven simplicity and a solid performer.
Perfection has been perfected… again.